Are you passionate about creating and producing music and want to learn how you can make 6 figures a year as a music producer? If so, you’ve come to the right place! It’s a career that comes with a lot of creative freedom and the potential to make a great income – even up to 6 figures! In this blog, we’ll explore the steps you can take to achieve your financial goals and live your dream of making money from your music. Get ready to learn how to make six figures as a music producer!
5 Best Ways To make 6 figures as a music producer
The following are some of the best ways to make 6 figures as a music producer-
1. Start a music production company.
Starting a music production company can be a great way to make six figures as a music producer. A music production company typically operates as a business entity and is responsible for creating and producing music for professional artists.
You can offer recording, mixing, mastering, and other production services to artists, labels, and other industry professionals. Music production is a very big market and the global music industry was valued at $19.1 billion in 2020 the US music production industry alone is estimated to generate over $2.2 billion in annual revenue.
How To get started-
1. Research Your Potential Market: Before you start a music production company, you should research the potential market and see what other companies are offering. Analyze the competition and see what they have to offer and how successful they are.
2. Create a Business Plan: Create a business plan that outlines your goals, strategies, and financial projections. Your business plan should include a market analysis, a description of your products and services, and a description of your target audience.
3. Secure Funding: You will need to secure funding in order to start a music production company. This can include contributions from family and friends, loans from banks, or investments from venture capitalists.
4. Choose the Right Equipment: You will need to invest in the right equipment in order to produce quality music. Invest in the best equipment that you can afford, as this will help you produce higher-quality music.
5. Hire a Team: You will need to hire a team of talented individuals to help you with the production process. This can include audio engineers, sound designers, and musicians.
6. Market Your Business: Once you have established your business, you will need to market it in order to attract customers. This can include advertising, creating a website, and networking with other music professionals.
7. Build a Reputation: As you build your business, strive to create a reputation as a reliable music production company. This can be done by producing high-quality music and providing excellent customer service.
You can also read our detailed article on How to make money in the music industry?
2. Become an in-demand remixer.
Remixing is an art form and is often used to breathe new life into a song. An in-demand remixer is a producer or sound engineer who specializes in creating alternative versions of a song or track and becoming an in-demand remixer can be a great way to make six figures as a music producer. Remixing is a lucrative and growing career path, particularly in the music industry.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of audio engineers and sound engineering technicians is expected to increase by 9 percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. Additionally, the median annual wage for these professionals was $55,330 in May 2019, which is significantly higher than the median wage for all occupations.
Remixers use a variety of techniques, such as sampling, rearranging, and adding new elements to a track to create a distinct sound and typically work with a record label or artist to craft a unique version of a song that is tailored to the specific needs of the artist and their audience.
How to get started-
1. Develop your skills: The first step to becoming an in-demand remixer is mastering the art of remixing. Work on your production skills and familiarize yourself with different genres, styles, and techniques. Invest in quality studio equipment and software and practice as much as possible.
2. Build Your Network: As an aspiring remixer, networking is key. Attend music events, join online communities, and connect with like-minded professionals. Connect with other remixers, DJs, producers, and industry professionals and build a strong network of contacts.
3. Promote Yourself: Once you’ve built up your skills and network, it’s time to start promoting yourself. Create a website, start a social media presence, and consider creating a press kit. This will help you attract clients and increase your visibility.
4. Have a Professional Attitude: When working with clients, it’s important to maintain a professional attitude. Be reliable, communicate clearly, and be open to feedback. Showing that you’re a reliable and capable remixer will help you stand out from the competition.
5. Offer Quality Work: No matter how great your skills and network are, if you don’t offer quality work, you won’t be successful. If you’re serious about becoming an in-demand remixer, make sure to produce the best work you can.
3. Sell beats online.
Selling beats online is one of the best ways to make six figures as a music producer. According to Statista, the global music streaming market was valued at over 19 billion USD in 2018 and is expected to reach 39 billion USD by 2023. The top earners in this career made an average of $10,000 per month, and the top sellers earned up to $50,000 per month.
You can create and sell exclusive beats to artists, labels, and other music professionals to make a good amount of money. You should also focus on creating unique instrumentals that will be attractive to buyers.
How to get started-
1. Create an attractive website: Having an attractive website for your beat-selling business is essential to success. Make sure that your website is professional, easy to navigate, and includes all the necessary information about your services, music samples, and contact information.
2. Promote your beats: In order to sell beats online, you need to get the word out about your services. Create social media accounts on sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook and use them to promote your beats. You can also use online advertising services like Google Adwords and Facebook Ads to promote your beats.
3. Accept payments: You will need to set up a payment processing system for customers to purchase your beats. This can be done through a third-party payment processor like PayPal, Stripe, or Apple Pay.
4. Connect with artists: Connecting with artists in your genre is a great way to promote your beats and increase sales. Consider reaching out to artists through social media, email, or even going to local music events and handing out flyers.
5. Stay organized: It’s important to keep track of all your beats and customers. Create a spreadsheet to keep track of all your transactions and customers. This will help you stay organized and make sure you are providing the best services possible.
4. Produce soundtracks for film and television.
If you want to make six figures as a music producer, producing soundtracks for film and television can be a great way to do it. Producing soundtracks for film and television is a highly sought-after job in the music industry.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, music composers and arrangers, which includes soundtrack composers, earned a median annual salary of $51,670 as of May 2019. Job opportunities for music composers and arrangers are projected to grow by 6 percent from 2018 to 2028. You’ll need to create original music for films, TV shows, and other types of media in this career.
How to get started-
1. Choose a Genre. Select a genre that best suits the project you’re creating a soundtrack for. This will give you a starting point for creating the music.
2. Find Inspiration. Brainstorm ideas and influences that can help you create the soundtrack. Listen to other soundtracks to get an idea of how they were created and what elements worked.
3. Write the Music. Start writing the music, based on the genre you’ve chosen and the ideas you’ve brainstormed. To make the process easier, use a sound library of loops and samples. This will help you create the sound quickly.
4. Edit and Arrange. Once you have a rough draft of the music, begin to edit and arrange it. Make sure it fits the project and that it flows from one section to the next.
5. Record and Mix. Record the music and mix it using digital audio workstations (DAW) software. This will give you the flexibility to make changes and tweak the sound until it’s just right.
6. Master the Music. The final step is to master the music. This will give it a professional sound and make it ready for broadcast.
5. Offer music production courses.
Offering music production courses can be a great way to make six figures as a music producer. You can teach people production techniques, music theory, and other related topics. You should focus on teaching people the skills they need to become successful music producers. Music production courses can teach students the basics of music production, including the use of recording software, music theory, and audio engineering techniques. Statistics show that music production is a growing industry.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of music producers and engineers in the United States increased by 10 percent between 2014 and 2024. Additionally, the median annual wage for music producers and engineers was $63,630 in 2018. This figure is expected to grow as more people enter the industry.
How to get started-
1. Research the music production industry: Learn about the different software and equipment used in music production, as well as the different genres and techniques.
2. Develop a curriculum: Create a comprehensive course syllabus that covers the basics of music production, as well as more advanced topics such as mixing and mastering.
3. Acquire the necessary educational materials: Gather the necessary textbooks, software, and equipment that students will need to complete their coursework.
4. Identify potential students: Reach out to local music schools and organizations, as well as online forums and social media platforms.
5. Price your courses: Establish a fair price for each course that is in line with the market rate for similar classes.
6. Promote your courses: Use traditional marketing methods such as print, radio, and television ads, as well as digital platforms such as social media and email.
7. Stay up-to-date: Keep your courses fresh by regularly updating the curriculum with the latest music production trends and technology.
In conclusion, making six figures as a music producer requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and a sound business plan. It’s not an easy task but with the right strategies, it can be achieved. It’s important to network with the right people, create a comprehensive marketing plan, and become an expert in the music production industry. With enough determination and the right resources, you can make six figures as a music producer and make your dreams a reality.
Do music producers make a lot of money ?
Yes, some music producers make a lot of money but the amount of money a music producer makes can vary greatly depending on the type of music they produce, the artist they work with, and the popularity of the music. Producers who work with top artists and produce chart-topping music often make very large salaries. However, many producers who only work with independent artists and produce less popular music may not make as much money.
How much does s music producer make per month?
The amount of money music producers make per month varies greatly depending on the producer’s experience, success, and the type of music they are producing. Some producers may make several thousand dollars per month, while others may make much less.
How much do music producers make per beat?
Music producers generally charge anywhere from $20 to $1000 per beat, depending on the type of beat they create, and the terms of the agreement with the artist.
How easy is it to make money as a music producer?
Making money as a music producer is possible, but it is not easy. You need to have the necessary skills, a good network, and a good understanding of the music industry. You also need to invest in the right equipment and be willing to put in the time and effort to learn the craft. Once you have the right skills and knowledge, you can start to make money as a music producer.